Data Science London @ds_ldn is a non-profit organization dedicated to the free, open, dissemination of data science.
Our members are 880 data scientists and data geeks.
Data Science London is a community of data scientists that meets regularly to discuss the tools, methods and technologies used by many startups to analyse large scale data (big data), extract predictive insight, and exploit business opportunities from data products.
Our members research and discuss data science topics like: big data analytics, distributed data analytics, Pig, data mining, machine learning, Mahout, scalable data analytics, predictive analytics, Cascalog, heuristics, statistical computing, R language, Clojure, Incanter, mass text mining, NLP, large scale analytical paradigms, data science opportunities & challenges, data science learning & training…
We believe ‘Big Data’ is the main driver for a new large scale data analytical paradigm.
‘Big Data’ for us means the 4 Vs of large scale data: Velocity, Variation, Variety, and… Volume too
‘Big Data’ involves non-structured, semi-structured, poly-structured, and structured data too.
But we see Big Data as an IT engineering problem.
We are interested in the practice of Data Science (DS) understood as:
- The ideas, concepts, and theories relative to inferring, deducting, simulating, automating, learning, or making intelligent decisions based on data
- The debate between Machine Learning vs. Domain Expertise
- The tools, technologies, and skills needed to deliver predictive, insightful analytics from ‘Big Data’
- The methods and processes needed to create data products that can deliver business value
- The business case of Big Data Analytics as an immediate driver of positive business impact and growth
- The skills and knowledge gaps between “traditional” Data Analyst & BI roles and the “emerging” Data Scientist role
- The new kind of Big Data Analytical paradigm as an enhancement, complement or replacement of ‘traditional analytical’ models
Our mission and group values are:
- Free dissemination of Data Science
- Free debate, discussion, and forum of ideas
- We like to meet new people to share our experiences and points of view
- Building a community of Data Scientists
- Passionate about Data Science
- We are technology agnostic
- We are vendor independent
- We promote Open Source
- We welcome sponsors as long as they agree not to pitch their products and agree not to use our community brand for commercial purposes
Data Science London is a founding member of Data Science Global